The Civic Center is a building that combines sporting, cultural and administrative uses to service the neighborhood Salburua in Vitoria.
The project conceives the civic center as a gathering of people to carry out various social, cultural, recreational or sports activities. The program of the building is divided into three levels:
– The ground floor has more public uses such as a café, lounge, hall, conference room, etc.
– The basement has all sports facilities except for the pool.
– The first floor has administrative areas, cultural spaces (library, study room, Infotek and workshops) and the pool with its own dressing room.
The floor conveys this concept of diffusion thanks to a glass façade through which you can see what is happening inside, and even across the street, establishing a fusion between urban space and inside the civic center, strengthening its public character.
In contrast, the first floor has a less permeable, more abstract language, avoiding the usual human scale, in order to obtain a stronger and more powerful image.
Despite being a very compact building of approximately 110×60 meters, it is very bright thanks to the many patios that traverse the entire building and that help establish visual relationships between the various activities taking place in the center. Source by IDOM.
- Location: Bulevar de Salburua Kalea, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Araba, Spain
- Architects: IDOM
- Project director: Juan Luis Geijo (Project); Juan Dávila (Works)
- Project Architect: Gonzalo Carro
- Other architects: Maria Robredo, Oscar Ferreira, Javier Manjón, Aintzane Gastelu-Iturri, Daniela Bustamante, Beatriz Pagoaga, Aitziber Olarte
- Project Management: Juan Luís Geijo; Juan Dávila
- Costs: Juan Dávila
- Structures: Unai Mardones
- Environmental Engineering: Camino López, Federíco Reguero
- Lighting: Elena Guezuraga, Susaeta iluminación
- Public Health Services: Beatriz Lorenzo
- Electrical Engineering: Elena Guezuraga
- Telecommunications: Elena Guezuraga
- Fire Strategy: Beatriz Lorenzo
- CAD: Itziar Ramírez, Arrate López de Maturana, Gorka Arceniaga, Marta García
- Administration: Edurne Jiménez de Aberasturi, Emma Luna, Josune Moreno
- Site Supervision: Gonzalo carro – María Robredo
- Construction execution management: Juan Dávila – Sara Barredo
- Site Management: Sara Barredo
- Constructor: UTE VIAS – OPACUA
- Client: Ayuntamiento de Vitoria-Gasteiz
- Area: 12840.0 sqm
- Year: 2015
- Photographs: Aitor Ortiz, Courtesy of IDOM
Article by Marco Rinaldi