KTGY is working with developer Summerhill Apartment Communities, as well as Pasadena Heritage and City of Pasadena Design Commission, on a structure that addresses its historic surroundings. Walkable to Old Pasadena, the building is adjacent to the Theodore Parker Lukens House. Built in 1886-87, the Victorian home is among the oldest in Pasadena. The Theo apartment building is named after this home’s first owner, who was a prominent conservationist and real estate investor.
Also adjacent to the project is a small park and 120-year-old cedar tree. These natural and historic components figure into KTGY’s design. The six-stories of apartments are set amongst courtyards and terraces with views to the San Gabriel Mountains and the Lukens House. These spaces include an observation room on the southeast corner, directly facing the Lukens House. This covered, naturally ventilated seating area also features historic information about the house. Source by KTGY Architecture + Planning.
- Location: 227 N. El Molino Avenue, Pasadena, CA, USA
- Architect: KTGY Architecture + Planning
- Developer: Summerhill Apartment Communities
- Residential Units: 105 units – 53% ones, and 47% two-bedrooms
- Floors: 6 stories with subterranean parking
- Amenities: Much of the roof area is set aside for amenity spaces
- Parking: 154 spaces on two levels
- Timeline: Groundbreaking has happened. Opening scheduled for August, 2019
- Images: Courtesy of KTGY Architecture + Planning
Article by Marco Rinaldi