Commissioned in 2015 by Nemesis Capital, a Mexican company committed to building new communities of the highest standards, the tower is within Santa Fe, an important business district in the west of Mexico City with a rapidly growing community that includes 3 universities and the regional offices of Microsoft, Apple, Sony, Roche and Amazon and adjacent to the La Mexicana park, an 28 hectare parklands, lakes, sports fields, basketball and tennis courts.
The Bora Residential Tower has been designed to provide excellent levels of natural light and ventilation, with the apartments optimising Santa Fe’s extremely comfortable environmental conditions of prevailing winds and mild annual temperatures. The arrangement and layout of the apartments maximises natural light, ensures privacy and offers panoramic, double-aspect views from all units that are also surrounded by balconies, providing residents with outdoor living areas to enjoy Santa Fe’s mild, elevated subtropical climate.
The distribution of varied apartments across each floor defines the formal composition of the tower. The six apartment layouts surround a central core and are extruded vertically, with the tower’s façade articulating the folds and pleats created from the juxtaposition of these six volumes. A sense of dynamism is introduced by the geometric configuration of the balconies which follow a harmonic variation that is optimised to ensure the best use of these outdoor living areas.
The tower tapers inwards at its base to increase the areas for leisure, recreation and entertainment located beneath ‘swirling’ canopies that transfer the surrounding streetscape vertically, echoing the dynamism expressed throughout the façade. The tower’s structure has also been designed for optimum flexibility and ductility, as well as an overall reduction in its weight, to best respond in seismic conditions, with the ten-storey canopies at its base providing additional lateral stability. Source by Zaha Hadid Architects.
- Location: Santa Fe, Mexico City, Mexico
- Architect: Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA)
- Design: Zaha Hadid and Patrik Schumacher (ZHA)
- ZHA Project Director: Juan Ignacio Aranguren
- ZHA Project Architects: Andrés Arias Madrid, Pierandrea Angius
- ZHA Concept Design Team: Saman Saffarian (Design Lead), Johannes Elias, Julia Hyoun Hee Na, Lisa Kinnerud, Kate Revyakina
- Structural Engineer (Concept): BAC – García Jarque Ingenieros
- MEP Engineer (Concept): PGI Engineering
- Façade Engineer (Concept): Front Inc.
- Visualizations (Concept): LabTop
- Client: Nemesis Capital
- Year: 2017
- Images: Courtesy of Zaha Hadid Architects
Article by Marco Rinaldi