HEPIstanbul designed by Istanbul based architectural practice CM Mimarlik is a residential project that it’s spacial organisation could be described as rhizomatic with its horizontal and vertical relations.
There are no centre or centres designated in this organisation A centreless movement is aimed with the attraction points are hidden.
HEPIstanbul is a housing project located in the Istanbul metropolitan area, Esenyurt, with a fast increasing demographic with the domestic migration, inhabited mostly by mid-class socio-economic families.
The site is in the middle of a very dense traffic hub, on a low altitude, without any vista. This lead to setup an inverted social life, open spaces optimizing neighborhood relations.
On 56.000 sqm site area, the given maximum %40 lot coverage is only used as %28. The total foot print is tried to be reduced to allow maximum open and green space uses, courtyards. To obtain that low rise and high rise buildings are mixed.
The high rises are diverted according to direction, shadow, wind and access point. The 25 storey is accepted as the effective limit both for construction/financial issues and comfort.
The units, 1422 in total, are designed in a container logic with different sizes, and placed in various positions in a floor typology. This differentiation is also the main element for their facade design.
The low rise row houses have also different heights allowing the roofs to be used as public roof gardens or terraces.
A “rhizomatic” spacial organisation is designated; no centres, with the attraction points all around.
This led to create secondary passages, courtyards on different levels allowing the critical air flow. For the sun penetrate inside all the compound, the heights of the buildings aligned on the North-South axis decreases through east.
West masses have different gauges blocking the negative effects of the highway and the West sun. Source by CM Mimarlik.
- Location: Esenyurt, Istanbul, Turkey
- Architect: CM Mimarlik
- Project Team: Cem Sorguc, Tolga Yagli, Sezin Ergene, Cigdem Yalrsu, Cuneyt Senturk, Ege Adas, Serra Ayhan, Amina Rezoug, Gizem Candemir, Eda Aytekin, Deniz Gezgin, Gizay Ozum, Tutku Sevinc, Elvan Cakit, Ozlem Yilmaz
- Civil Engineering: Protek Group
- Mechanical Engineering: Cilingroglu Engineering
- Electrical Engineering: Fundamental Design and Consultancy
- Facade Consultancy: CWG
- Fire Protection Consultancy: Etik Engineering
- Landscape Design: Arzu Nuhoglu
- Main Contractor: Tekfen Real Estate Development Group
- Client: Tekfen Real Estate Development Group
- Gross Floor Area: 253.000 sqm (total constructon area)
- Costs: (Estimated) 104.000.000 $
- Year: 2017
- Photographs: Cemal Emden, Courtesy of pRchitect communications consultancy
Article by Marco Rinaldi