The project proposal is located in the cultural, social and historical center of Constanta. The city is well known for its multiculturalism, music festivals, outdoortheatre concerts and for its harbor for the Black Sea, being in a continuous development. The choice of this site was dictated by the subjective perception of the aesthetic and functional conflict highlighted in this area. The project includes nine key points that describes the concept:
1. Sea promenade waterfront: The promenade overlooking the sea form city center to the pier is very important and this character must be emphasized.
2. Tectonic integration: To allow the visual continuity of this character the volume has a bold tectonic presence which ensures its integration into the waterfront.
3. Efficient basement: The basement by joining two volumes reduces the risk of flooding and generates a central connection point.
4. Traffic connection: Road connectivity is secured on the opposite side of the sea and this clearly separates pedestrian traffic from carriageway traffic.
5. Main core structure: The central node is generated by the symmetry of the classical opera hall auditorium shape, inspired by the violin base shape, and allows a balanced distribution of efforts to its foundation.
6. Conference center volume: The volume of the conference center is a multipurpose hall that is separated from the opera volume that enhance to possibility to unfold different activities streams to perform independently.
7. Opera rising form the ground: Opera is the dominant function that originates form the tectonic of the place and becomes a self-contained volume that enhance the character of the place.
8. Shell diagrid structure: The shape generated around the main opera volume is a diagrid metal shell that sustains by its own weight, resembling the inner core of the opera and the diagrid side walls.
9. New promenade Icon: The character of the promenade is continued and improved by generating a new icon representative to the city. The Shell form is a sculpture in the landscape, sitting on a pedestal.
The shape is molded on the contour of the opera auditorium volume and focuses on the main entrance that allows access from the city and the southern direction to the sea that allows access from the port. The proposal is shaped as an urban generator approach, aimed to revitalise the promenade by implanting a multifunction hall in order to be a new cultural center.
An cultural complex that host commercial premises, restaurants, offcies, meetings rooms, a 850 multipurpose conference hall. At the center of this complex, rises the opera auditorium with 1248 seats, to be the pearl of this complex. Source by Șain Andrei
- Location: Constanta, Romania
- Student: Șain Andrei
- University: “ION MINCU” Architecture and Urban Planning University, Bucharest
- Total land area: 23.000 sm
- Groundfloor area build: 7623,60 sm
- Total surface area: 22.123,10 sm
- Opera seats: 1248
- Conference seats: 850
- Restaurant seats: 225
- Year: 2018
- Images: Courtesy of Șain Andrei
Article by Marco Rinaldi