On the grounds of the former Atrium Hospital in Kerkrade, The Netherlands, a special sports building will emerge in the coming years.
The European tender for the design was recently won by MoederscheimMoonen Architects in collaboration with Wehrung Architecten, and proposes a building that is completely absorbed into the surrounding sloping landscape.
The complex has a total area of approximately 15,000 m2 and includes a sports hall, multiple indoor swimming pools and a parking garage. The design further elaborates on the urban development plan previously devised by the Ketting-Huls agency. In this plan, the relationship with the surrounding infrastructure and the significant scenic principles were defined.
Amongst these buildings, ‘Center Court Kerkrade’ will be built; a concept where healthcare, education and businesses become integrated under the themes of sports and well-being, making the entire site a beacon of fitness and vitality.
By creating a unique new location adjacent to the city center, in addition to the various sports functions and the parking garage, the presented design is a powerful first step for the total redevelopment of the area.
Large parts of the roofs are designed as walkable green areas forming a plateau with views over the surrounding hills, thus creating a special place for recreation and sports. The building culminates at a verge in the landscape. Here the most representative functions such as the canteen and the swimming pool present themselves through the open façade and benefit from the extensive scenery.
The plateau’s edge is comprised of swift and playful eaves in harmony with the surrounding landscape elements. Between the horizontal planes of the building, the vast amount of glass and transparency allow the transition from interior to exterior to become seamless.
Currently, the architects in collaboration with the construction team, are working on the further advancement of the concept design into a preliminary design. The city council of Kerkrade will decide on the further development of the complex during the course of this year. Source by MoederscheimMoonen Architects
- Location: Kerkrade, The Netherlands
- Architect: MoederscheimMoonen Architects
- Collaboration: Wehrung Architecten
- Architect in charge: Erik Moederscheim
- Project Team: Bjorn Hendriks, Patrick Stienen, Jelle Rinsema, Sulejman Gusic, Fernando Polo, Tessa Koenig, Marta Fiou
- Structural designer: Pieters Bouwtechniek
- Installations consultancy: Engie
- Building physics: Dgmr
- Contractor: Pellikaan
- Urban planning/landscape: B+B urbanism and landscape architecture
- Client: Municipality of Kerkrade
- Programme: Sports hall, swimming pool, restaurant, bar, staff rooms, landscape
- Area: app. 15,000 m2
- Date: December 2017
- Images: Courtesy of MoederscheimMoonen Architects
Article by Marco Rinaldi