The new Theater of Cachan aims to transform the neighborhood with an urban, cultural and social point of view.
The entrance of the Theatre, as an outstretched hand that prompts and guides visitors, is marked by a fold that pace the length of the façade.
The building appears as a simple volume, made up of two overlapping entities.
A first transparent volume disconnects the project from the ground: it is the foyer, open and lively, offering a set of openings and revealing the inner volume.
A second mineral volume composed of terracotta elements, stands over the first volume and envelopes the project as a stage curtain.
A Functional and Technical Organization
The new project is organized around the existing and central auditorium.
On the ground floor, a generous reception area structures the whole distribution with the two auditoriums, the cafeteria and the exhibition space.
The new 250 seats auditorium fits behind the existing one in order to share the new technical spaces and facilitate the flow of actors, technicians and logistic staff.
The overall image of the project is conceived as a technological and functional tool that confirms the dynamism of the city of Cachan, for the sake of architectural and landscape quality. Source by Ateliers O-S Architectes.
- Location: 21 Avenue Louis Georgeon, 94230 Cachan, France
- Architect: Ateliers O-S Architectes
- Architects in charge: Vincent Baur, Guillaume Colboc et Gaël Le Nouëne
- Project managers: Marine Bouhin, Etienne Pellier
- Services engineer: Nicolas ing
- Structural engineer: Batiserf
- Scenographer: Ducks Scéno
- Acoustics: JP Lamoureux
- Landscape: Emma Blanc
- Structural work: Entreprise Boyer
- General Contractor: Entreprise Boyer
- Client: CA Val de Bièvre, Etablissement Public Territorial – Grand-Orly Seine Bièvre
- Created areas: 3323.6 m2 su
- Restructured surfaces: 1237 m2
- Budget: 11 970 000 € HT excluding taxes (including € 1,375,464.8 in scenic equipment)
- Year: 2017
- Photographs: Cyrille Weiner, Courtesy of Ateliers O-S Architectes
Article by Marco Rinaldi