Located at the crossroads of the Yaletown Neighbourhood, the Granville Street Entertainment District, and the Business District of Downtown Vancouver, 999 Seymour is an 22-storey mixed-use development.
The building is an 11,600 square metre with commercial space on the first two levels, a shared gym for residential and commercial tenants on the 3rd level, residential and commercial spaces from the 4th to 7th levels, and 15 levels of residential units above.
Creating a harmonious relationship between commercial and residential uses was a key consideration for the project. The commercial and residential uses each have unique, separate entrances.
To further distinguish each use, the commercial two-storey podium base is oriented toward Seymour Street and reflects adjacent massing, whereas the slender, articulated residential tower component is oriented toward Nelson Street.
The 134 studio, one- and two-bedroom units, range between 46 square metres to 110 square metres and feature sliding glass wall systems and over-sized balconies.
The south-facing facade features continuous balconies with moveable, perforated anodized aluminum sun screens and a vertical accent of vibrant green and blue translucent glass.
The deep balconies provide passive solar control, enhanced building envelope protection, increased privacy and a high degree of livability. Glazing at the north elevation is limited due to the proximity of a neighbouring building with openings located to maximize livability within the units.
The project features three large outdoor terraces with extensive planting, a BBQ and fireplace area, a multi-media room, social lounge, games area, a yoga studio and fitness centre and bike storage.
With a walking score of 100, commuters to and from 999 Seymour can conveniently access public transit, a nearby network of bike lanes or utilize an on-site car share program. Source by Acton Ostry Architects.
- Location: Vancouver, Canada
- Architects: Acton Ostry Architects
- Principal-in-charge: Mark Ostry, ARCHITECT AIBC AAA SAA OAA FRAIC
- Project Lead: Andrew Weyrauch MArch BA LEED AP
- Project Team: Russell Acton, ARCHITECT AIBC AAA SAA OAA FRAIC; Stewart Child, UK-Registered Architect ARB BArch; Alan Davis, ARCHITECT AIBC MRAIC LEED AP; Adam James, RIBA CEPHD MSc BA; Nebo Slijepcivic BArch; James Solar; Bob Sumpter UK-Registered Architect ARB BArch; Sergei Vahkrameev, MArch IA
- Structural Engineer: Weiler Smith Bowers (WSB) Consulting Structural Engineering
- Mechanical Engineer: Integral Group (Formerly Cobalt Group)
- Electrical Engineer: Nemetz (S/A) & Associates (Formerly Arnold Nemetz & Associates)
- Landscape Architect: Durante Kreuk Ltd
- Contractor: Townline Holdings
- Code: BR Thorson Consulting Ltd.
- Acoustic: BKL Consultants Ltd. (BKLA)
- Envelope: BC Building Science & Engineering Ltd.
- Environmental: A.C.M. Environmental
- Interior Design: Trepp Design Inc.; (Public Areas) – Evoke Interior Design
- Client: Townline Group of Companies
- Gross Floor Area: 125,000 ft2 (11,613 m2)
- Year: December 2014
- Photographs: Michael Elkan, Courtesy of Acton Ostry Architects