The Herman Teirlinckbuilding is located along the canal on the site of Tour & Taxis, one of the final large-scale development locations in the heart of Brussels. This site, within walking distance of the North Station and the lively urban and historic charm of the former port area, will become a new high-quality green urban district with mixed functions.
The meander shape of the building creates a diverse building volume that integrates naturally with the urban blocks along the Havenlaan. To establish an attractive working environment a sustainable low-rise building of only six layers is deliberately chosen, consisting of large floor areas on a human scale.
A modest vertical accent of 60 meters makes the project recognizable in the skyline of Brussels. The Herman Teirlinckbuilding building is, like the Royal Warehouse on the site of Tour & Taxis, characterized by a covered internal street. It runs through the entire length of the building and aligns with the one of the Royal Warehouse.
All common functions for employees, such as the restaurant, reception rooms, auditoriums, information and exhibition space are connected to this street. On the upper levels the office floors are situated around four internal, transparent and green courtyards. This creates a clear and sustainable building with lots of natural light.
Mixed-use office building for the Flemish governement with open and closed working facilities, reception rooms, auditoriums, lounge, restaurant, information and exhibition space, underground parking. Source by Neutelings Riedijk Architects.
- Location: Havenlaan, Brussels, Belgium
- Architects: Neutelings Riedijk Architects
- Collaboration: CONIX RDBM Architects, Brussels, Belgium
- Architectural engineering: Bureau Bouwtechniek, Antwerp, Belgium
- Project management: Dieter De Vos Architecten, Brussels, Belgium
- Structural engineering: Ney + Parteners, Brussels, Belgium
- Building physics: Studiebureau Boydens, Groot-Bijgaarden, Belgium
- Building services: Studiebureau Boydens, Groot-Bijgaarden, Belgium
- Acoustics: Scala Consultants, Leuven, Belgium
- Fire safety: Arcadis, Brussels, Belgium
- Safety coordination: Probam, Erembodegem, Belgium
- Builder: Van Laere NV Algemene Aanemingen, Zwijndrecht, BE
- Promoter: Project T&T NV, Brussels, Belgium
- Investors: Extensa Group NV, PMV NV
- Client: VAC De Meander NV
- Surface area: 66.500 sqm
- Expected completion: 2017
- Photos model: Neutelings Riedijk Architects
- Images: A2 Studio, Courtesy of Neutelings Riedijk Architects