In designing a new European HQ for PVH Europe: Calvin Klein & Tommy Hilfiger, we were inspired by the waterfront location. The former port turned creative hub shares the IJ with two contemporary landmark buildings: the EYE film museum and Muziekgebouw aan t ’IJ. We realized that our own building could complete a stunning architectural triangle.
We designed a slightly cantilevered volume of 12 floors which includes up to 12,000 square meters of showrooms and offices. Doubling the usual permitted height gave our building a commanding presence. Its oblique lines create dynamism, while gracefully suggesting the form of a ship. Gleaming white aluminium and steel add to the maritime effect.
“We combined a sensational and sophisticated design with spacious lounge decks and rooftop terraces which gives it a very dynamic look that fits the unique location,” according to MVSA project architect Wouter Thijssen. For the interior of the building we developed an open plan layout with transparent walls. By making communication easy, the building will engender an industrious ambience whenever required.
And with the exceptional degree of flexibility, we made it possible that presentations come to light in every sense of the expression. Each floor will offer superb vistas over the city of Amsterdam and the surrounding waters. The large roof terrace on top of the building is a reward for every client and business relation visiting the new Calvin Klein & Tommy Hilfiger European Headquarters. Source by MVSA Architects.
- Location: Danzigerkade 165, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Architect: MVSA Architects
- Interior design: Dan O’Kelly Studio
- Developer: Heren 2, Amsterdam
- Contractor: HerenBouw, Amsterdam
- Constructive engineer: Van Rossum bv
- Installations: Huisman & van Muijen
- Real estate consultant: Appelhoven, Amsterdam
- Client: PVH Europe: Calvin Klein & Tommy Hilfiger
- Area: 12.000m2 showrooms and offices
- Year: 2016
- Photographs: Ronald Tilleman, Albert Bakker,
Barwerd van der Plas, Courtesy of MVSA Architects