The tender for the end building on Stationsplein (Station square) in Delft was won by Smit’s Bouwbedrijf BV|Vink Bouw Nieuwkoop BV. Studioninedots was responsible for the architecture. The strength of this robust complex called ‘Antoni’ lies in the physical connection of the dynamic surroundings with an urban, mixed-use function that incorporates exhibition and meeting spaces, a hotel with restaurant, workspaces, retail and apartments. Integrated underneath the building will be a new public parking facility for 2.400 bicycles.
The removal of the railway viaduct sparked a new neighbourhood in Delft, a modern extension of the historic city centre: Nieuw Delft. The Ontwikkelingsbedrijf Spoorzone Delft (OBS), responsible for managing the new railway precinct developments in Delft, commissioned a lively station square with a prominent end building that connects to its surroundings. The social dynamic of the site strongly indicated a public and collective character for the new complex.
Temporary and permanent living functions occupy the floors including a hotel, studio apartments and loft apartments. In the glass atrium known as the Living Lobby, exhibition spaces, workspaces and hospitality venues facilitate connections between people and technology, innovation and entrepreneurship. The Living Lobby functions 24/7 as both the heart of the neighbourhood and as a central hub within the building whereby all functions are visible and accessed from here. State-of-the-art sustainable measures in terms of materials, energy and flexibility for future use connect seamlessly to new sustainable initiatives incorporated in the building.
Five parties were invited by OBS to tender for this project. Quality and function were important criteria for the selection committee who unanimously assessed the ‘Antoni’ plan as outstanding for its approach to the building’s mixed-use functions, architecture, urban fit and sustainability. The team looks forward to a successful collaboration with OBS, the neighbourhood and stakeholders, and with future residents and occupants. Construction is set to begin in 2018.
- Location: Stationsplein Delft, Netherlands
- Architects: Studioninedots
- Consortium: Smit’s Bouwbedrijf BV | Vink Bouw Nieuwkoop BV, Amory+Jurriëns, Studioninedots
- Design Team: Albert Herder, Vincent van der Klei, Arie van der Neut, Metin van Zijl
- Project Team: Jurjen van der Horst, Stefan Dannel, Wouter Hermanns, Gerty Daniëls
- Consultants: Born2Brand | Pieters Bouwtechniek | NIBE | Hiensch Engineering
- Client: Municipality of Delft, Ontwikkelingsbedrijf Spoorzone Delft
- Plot: 2.000 m2
- Size: 12,500m2 (GFA)
- EPC: 0 (apartments), 0,49 (overall)
- GPR: 8,3
- Year: 2016-2019
- Images: Courtesy of Studioninedots