Powerhouse Company and Benthem Crouwel Architects, together with Chinese firms New Era and UAD, participated in the invited competition for the new Terminal 4 of Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport. The competition anticipates the rise of air passengers from 30 million to 70 million people, consolidating its position in the top ten of biggest airports in China.
The main challenge for the design team was to provide the airport with a recognisable and welcoming terminal within the limited space and strict borders of the existing masterplan. Grand gesture and human scale combined The programme of requirements dictated a length of more than one kilometre and a depth of two hundred meters for the new terminal.
According to Stijn Kemper, partner at Powerhouse Company, the terminal needed a grand gesture as well as a design that refers to the human scale. “We created four green areas filled with local trees, combined with large skylights in the canopy that divide the one kilometre long facade into smaller parts. These green zones help passengers orient themselves and provide a clear division between the different entrances and areas.”
Spectacular approach inspired by water Another major design theme was inspired by the concept that binds all existing terminals: water. “The footprint shape is loosely based on the shape of the West Lake’s shoreline,” Daniel Jongtien, partner at Benthem Crouwel Architects points out. “Also, the section of the roof, which is a gently shaped arch that reaches a height of 45 meters, mimics a giant wave which ensures a spectacular approach to the terminal.”
“Inviting a Dutch design team demonstrates the professionalism and international scope of the client. We are proud of the results and the excellent and inspiring corporation with our local Chinese partners. It certainly increased our interest to work on more large-scale projects in China”, concludes Stijn Kemper. Source by Powerhouse Company and Benthem Crouwel Architects.
- Location: Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport, Hangzhou, China
- Architects: Powerhouse Company & Benthem Crouwel Architects
- Partners in charge: Stijn Kemper (Powerhouse Company), Daniel Jongtien (Benthem Crouwel Architects)
- Project Team: Niels Baljet, Xiyangzi Cao, Ton Deuling, Thomas Grievink, Ryanne Janssen, Julian Luo, Alex Niemantsverdriet, Rutger Oor, Thomas Ponds, Danique van de Sanden, Edison Xie
- Airport Consultant: Shanghai New Era Airport Design & Research Institute
- Local Architect: Architectural Design and Research Institute of Zhejiang University (UAD)
- Structural Engineer: BREED Integrated Design
- Status: Invited competition, results will be announced end of summer
- Size: 320.000m2
- Year: 2017
- Images: Courtesy of Powerhouse Company