The new 50 acre mixed use waterfront neighborhood Water Street Tampa, named for the existing historic street that will be transformed into the new heart of Downtown Tampa, will create one of the largest real estate developments in the United States located within an existing central business district. Totaling over $3 billion in investment, Water Street Tampa is a multi phased urban development project that includes more than 9 million square feet of commercial, residential, hospitality, educational, entertainment, cultural, and retail space.
Situated on the Garrison Channel and Hillsborough Bay, Water Street Tampa is surrounded by existing cultural, entertainment and community anchors including the Tampa Convention Center, Amalie Arena where the Tampa Bay Lightning play, Tampa Bay History Center, and Florida Aquarium. Water Street Tampa will connect these community anchors to a network of new and enhanced parks and public areas that lead to the waterfront, the Tampa Riverwalk, and the nearby five mile path along Bayshore Boulevard, offering a variety of passive and active recreational opportunities.
To implement the vision for Water Street Tampa, Strategic Property Partners, LLC (SPP) is currently working with 10 award winning architectural firms on the design of 18 distinct buildings and 12.9 acres of new and enhanced public space, breathing fresh energy into Tampa’s downtown. The revitalization is already underway with the construction of new roadways, streetscapes, and utility and technology infrastructure work in progress, which will bring distinctive pedestrian oriented design to downtown Tampa.
Once completed, Water Street Tampa will include more than two million square feet of new office space, the first new office towers in downtown Tampa in nearly 25 years; one million square feet of new retail, cultural, educational, and entertainment space that complement the active pedestrian experience at the street level; 3,500 new rental and for sale residences, nearly doubling the number of housing units available within Downtown Tampa; and two new hotels with over 650 new rooms, including the city’s first 5 star hotel.
Water Street Tampa also aims to set a new standard for wellness and sustainability in the built environment. SPP is pursuing both WELL and LEED building certification on individual building. Work on the first phase of vertical construction on Water Street Tampa will begin this year with over four million square feet of new mixed use office, residential, hospitality, retail, and cultural space across 10 blocks of development scheduled to be complete in 2020. Subsequent phases of the project are expected to be completed by 2027. Source and images, Courtesy of M18 from Strategic Property Partners.
• CookFox Architects Two buildings; office and residential over retail
• Morris Adjmi Architects Three buildings; 157 key 5 star hotel, luxury
condominiums, apartments and retail
• Olson Kundig One building; office over retail
• Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates (KPF) Two buildings; condominiums and
apartments over grocery store and retail
• Gensler Two buildings; office over retail
• Alfonso Architects – Redevelopment vision for Channelside; residential and
waterfront retail, and a new public park on the Riverwalk
• Nichols Brosch Wurst Wolfe & Associates (NBWW) One building; 500 key
4 star hotel over
• Pickard Chilton Three buildings; office and residential over retail
• Baker Barrios One building; central cooling facility and infrastructure
• Roman & Williams Interior design for the new five star hotel and associated
condominiums, in a building designed by Morris Adjmi
• Cecconi Simone –Interiors for the condominium and apartment residences in
the buildings designed by KPF
• Champalimaud –Interiors for the new four star hotel designed by NBWW