Al Seef, a new destination offering retail, dining, and hospitality experiences, has been open recently. The development has attracted two hotels under the Zabeel House by Jumeirah brand, opening Spring 2018.
Dubai-based holding company, Meraas, is committed to enrich Dubai’s tourism industry by rejuvenating Dubai Creek into a new tourism destination – Al Seef. Stretching 1.8 km along the creek, the development is located in the historic heart of Dubai adjacent to the Al Fahidi Cultural Historical Neighborhood.
Al Seef is conceptualised to embrace the Emirati culture and yet at the same time shape the modern lifestyle of Dubai. This new development, which has attracted substantial new thinking and investment in Dubai, is one of the UAE’s most popular destinations.
10 DESIGN is the Design Architect for the Contemporary District of Al Seef, leading the project from concept design all the way through to construction supervision. The contemporary area is designed by 10 DESIGN as a complementary foil to the heritage area which forms part of the wider masterplan.
The contemporary area spans around 670m of the Dubai Creek waterfront with retail, F&B, hospitality, marina amenities and parking covering over a total of 85,000 m2. 10 DESIGN’s scheme has broken down the retail and F&B amenities into a series of standalone pavilions fronting along the shores of Dubai Creek.
The pavilions fully open out onto the promenade, blurring the distinction between internal and external spaces, providing the canvas for exciting, active, and bustling retail and hospitality concepts. Gordon Affleck, Design Partner, said: “The individual design personalities of each retail and F&B pavilion incorporate crafted and layered façade solutions, resulting in a rich variety framing the visitor experience.
Beneficially each pavilion has a distinctive identity; however, a common palette of materials and consistent approach to the precision of detailing ties together the separate elements to form a coherent solution across the whole district.”
“To complete a holistic lifestyle offer, Al Seef accommodates 2 hotels by Jumeirah: a 150-key Zabeel House Mini and a 200-key Zabeel House. Extending from the hotels is the creation of separate F&B water pavilions that spill out and into the creek, stepping across a terraced, cascading landscape for a distinctive take on waterfront dining opportunities.” added Chris Jones, Partner – MENA.
Ross Milne, Chief Operating Officer, explained: “The complexities of realizing the project included the consideration of important and historic neighbourhoods, necessary service diversions and the reinforcement of existing sea walls. The result, however, is uncompromisingly contemporary but appropriately scaled with a rich palette of materials”
Al Seef seeks to maximize its waterfront location, celebrating cultural links and creating a rich, diverse, and vibrant place filled with exciting retail, leisure and hospitality outlets. Source by 10 DESIGN.
- Location: Al Seef, Dubai, UAE
- Architect: 10 DESIGN
- Design Partner: Gordon Affleck
- Design Director: Paul Rodgers
- Project Team 1: Chris Jones, Kishor Lad, Eugene de Villers, Phil Gray, Collin Foster, Jon Derrin, Javier Manon, Alessandr Varonier, Almudena Lacruz, Jose Castenada, Nick Cunningham, Thomas Oderico, Riccardo Ferrari, David Hill
- Project Team 2: Ross Milne, Miriam Auyeung, Sonja Stoffels, Vincent Fung, Daniel Wang, Gwyneth Choi, Bryan Diehl, Yan Liu, Yushan Wu, Adam Wang, Neil Samson, Dan Narita
- CGI Team: Peter Alsterholm, Jon Martin, Yasser Salomon, David Guardado
- Lead Consultant / Architect of Record / Structure Engineer / MEP Engineer: W.S. Atkins & Partners
- Marine Engineer: CH2M
- Landscape Architect and Landscape Lighting Designer: Cracknell
- Signage and Way Finding Designer: Genius Loci
- Project Management Consultant: Mace
- Hotel Kitchens Designer: MCTS
- Façade Engineer: Meinhardt
- Cost Management Consultant: MLC
- Façade and Interior Lighting Designer: NeoLight
- Interior Designer: Studio HBA
- Fire Safety Engineer: Vortex
- Contractor: Dutco Balfour Beatty (L.L.C.)
- Total GFA: 85,000 sqm
- Retail and F&B: 9,999 sqm
- Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah: 9,995 sqm (150 keys)
- Zabeel House by Jumeirah: 17,892 sqm (200 keys)
- Public & Services Areas: 9,778 sqm
- Basement & Carpark: 37,336 sqm
- Client: Meraas – Dubai-Based Holding Company
- Type: Retail, F&B, Hotel
- Area: G.F.A. 85,000 sqm ; Site Area 104,543 sqm (670m)
- Year: 2018
- Photographs: Gerry O’Leary & Lanel Janse van Vuuren, Courtesy of 10 DESIGN