University College Dublin (UCD) and Malcolm Reading Consultants (MRC) announced that the team led by Steven Holl Architects (SHA) has won the Future Campus – University College Dublin International Design Competition.
The international jury—which included Sir David Adjaye, Principal, Adjaye Associates; Ann Beha, Principal, Ann Beha Architects and Member, Harvard University Design Advisory Panel; acclaimed urban planner Joe Berridge, Partner, Urban Strategies, Inc.; Dermot Desmond, Chairman, International Investment & Underwriting; Sean Mulryan, Founder, Chairman and CEO, Ballymore.
SHA’s placemaking strategy focuses on creating an exhilarating Centre for Creative Design as a gateway presence which cues to seven new quadrangles of open green space, designed to enhance the campus’ historic features and woodlands.
A new pedestrian spine, parallel to the campus’ original spine, creates an H-plan organization, lined with weather canopies that double as solar connectors, forming the infrastructure of an energy network.
Cafés and social spaces are located along paths for informal gathering; landscape spaces are animated by water-retention ponds, rain- and wind-protected seating areas and preserved specimen trees. Source by Steven Holl Architects.
- Location: Dublin, Ireland
- Architect: Steven Holl Architects
- Design Architect, Principal: Steven Holl
- Partner in charge: Chris McVoy
- Project Architect: Filipe Taboada, Ruoyu Wei
- Project Team: Alessandra Catherine Calaguire, Michael Haddy, Seo Hee Lee, Jacobo Mingorance Arranz
- Associate Architects: Kavanagh Tuite Architects, Brian Kavanagh, Fergal Ryan
- Structural engineers: Arup
- Landscape architects / urban designers: HarrisonStevens
- Climate engineers: Transsolar
- Analysts: Brightspot Strategy
- Client: University College Dublin
- Year: 2018
- Images: Courtesy of Steven Holl Architects