Construction on the Loop of Wisdom has officially begun and is scheduled to be finished in September 2019. Designed by Powerhouse Company as part of the Unis Chip City in Chengdu, China, the Loop will showcase the ambitions of the city of Chengdu and the Unis Group.
The main feature of the innovative design is a red, walkable, curvy roof which follows the landscape and twists through a lush and vivid park, promoting the themes of health and beauty. As a public landmark, the Loop of Wisdom will house the Exhibition and Reception Centers for the masterplan.
The unique design reflects the great traditions of Chinese culture as well as three key elements that define the masterplan development: people, nature and technology. The Loop of Wisdom joins two centers into one free-standing structure, forming a single red ribbon designed to be in harmony with its natural surroundings.
On top of the hill is the Exhibition Center, where guests can attend technology and cultural events while enjoying panoramic views of the masterplan. The second program is the Reception Center, where models of the masterplan are showcased. In the near future, the Loop will be turned into sports facilities for the school.
The center of the loop will be transformed into an Olympic size running track, and the exhibition center will be a Sports Center with basketball court and so on. The Loop of Wisdom will also be an icon to showcase the ambitions of the city of Chengdu and the Unis Group. Chengdu—the biggest capital of southwest China—has seen a lot of growth in the last decade due to the influx of international tech companies moving into the region.
To effectively manage the growth, Chengdu city planners have made environmental protection and quality of life their priorities. Unis Chip City, a 50 billion RMB investment, as a key project in Chengdu City, will align with the city’s goals for sustainable development and offer the technology and innovation that has become so prevalent in the region. Source by Powerhouse Company.
- Location: Chengdu, China
- Architect: Powerhouse Company
- Partner in charge: Stijn Kemper
- Project architect: Niels Baljet
- Project team: Stijn Kemper, Nanne de Ru, Niels Baljet, Maarten Diederix, Meagan Kerr, Loz Mills, Reto Egli, Daan Masmeijer, Eli Keijser, Niek Koning, Caroline Desplan, Penny Unni, Filip Galić, Dries Brøns, Gert Ververs, Giovanni Coni, Rafael Zarza García, Stavros Voskaris, Yanni Huang, Michiel Bosch, Severino Iritano, Albert Takashi Richters, Kimi Fei
- Client: Uni Hiku
- Size: 5000m2
- Period: February – September 2019
- Status: Under Construction
- Images: Silkroad, MIR, Courtesy of Powerhouse Company