This year’s World Architecture Festival brought a double up on awards to the Hamburger masterplan Oberbillwerder by ADEPT and KARRES EN BRANDS. Not only did the sustainable masterplan take home the award in its own category, it was also honored as the winner of ’Future Project of the Year’ as the first masterplan ever.
ADEPT and KARRES EN BRANDS took home a total two awards for their sustainable urban design: as the best project in the category ’Future Projects Masterplan’, and as the first masterplan ever, Oberbillwerder was named ’Future Project of the Year’ as the overall winner of the 13 future categories.
Oberbillwerder, just 15 min from the center of Hamburg, was earlier this year pre-certified with DGNB Platinum – the highest ranking in the system – and is thus well under way to become one of the most sustainable urban developments in Europe.
Oberbillwerder is the largest one-off urban development in Germany since Hafencity and covers a build area of 124 ha. Fully developed, the area will accommodate around one mill. m2 with more than 7.000 residential units, 4.000 workplaces, new schools, sports facilities etc.
The detailed plans for the resilient 105th district of Hamburg has been analyzed thoroughly by the German DGNB Council through an extensive process focusing on the more than 30 criteria within ecology, economy, sociocultural and functional sustainability, process and technical quality.
The preliminary result shows that Oberbillwerder meet more than 80 percent of the criteria, making it one of Europe’s most sustainable urban developments. Oberbillwerder is the first urban district of its size to achieve a platinum pre-certification. Source by ADEPT, KARRES EN BRANDS.
- Location: Hamburg, Germany
- Design Team: ADEPT, KARRES EN BRANDS, Transsolar
- Masterplan: ADEPT, KARRES EN BRANDS
- Engineering and sustainability: Transsolar
- City Economics: Buro Happold Berlin
- Consultant on water management: Ingenieurbüro Kraft
- Client: IBA Hamburg
- Program: Mixed-use masterplan, housing, offices, retail, public buildings, recreational activities, urban agriculture, sports and activity-park.
- Size: 124ha/360ha, 1.000.000 m2 GFA masterplan,
- Status: Plan approved by Hamburg City Council 2019, Pre-certified DGNB Platinum 2019
- Images: ADEPT, KARRES EN BRANDS, Courtesy of ADEPT