KTGY Architecture + Planning (KTGY) has announced an innovative mixed-use design, fusing a historic, Art Deco parking garage with new retail and residences. 8th & Western, developed by Jamison Properties, LLP., creates 230 apartments above approximately 13,300 square feet of retail in a new, eight-story development. It combines them with a 1931, five-story parking structure (originally the The Pellissier Square Garage), rehabilitated for parking, retail and rooftop amenities.
The designers and developer are working with historic consultants to preserve the integrity of the existing building, including classic zigzags and chevrons. Its rooftop will be converted to approximately 13,000 square feet of amenities, including an expansive pool deck with city views. This newly constructed roof terrace will link with the new residential building and approximately 5,000 square feet of indoor amenities via a pedestrian bridge.
Additional resident amenities accompany the retail program on the new ground floor. 8th & Western qualifies as a Tier 3 Transit Oriented Community due to its proximity to metro stops. This allows higher density per acre than the underlying zoning, and 10 percent of its units to be Affordable, for Extremely Low Income (ELI) residents.
Another historic Deco structure, The Wiltern theater and Pellissier Building, is just two blocks away. The Pellissier Square Garage was commissioned early in the 20th century, along with the theater and tower, by Marie Julie Pellissier (according to Curbed L.A.). Both were designed by the famed Morgan Walls and Clements, responsible for other nearby landmarks such as Chapman Plaza and La Fonda restaurant. Source by KTGY Architecture + Planning.
- Location: 808 S. Western Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90005, USA
- Architect: KTGY Architecture + Planning
- Developer: Jamison Properties, LLP.
- Floors: 7 for residential and ground-floor commercial with 1 level subterranean (new), plus 4-story parking garage (existing)
- Retail: 13,377 square feet
- Parking Spaces: 139; 0.6 spaces per residential unit.
- Amenities: 1,372 sf – ground floor
- Roof Deck with Pool: 12,096 sf – 4th floor (roof)
- Estimated Opening: 2022
- Images: Courtesy of KTGY Architecture + Planning