Architecture is widely agreed to be one of the most gruelling academic courses, entailing hours worth of design assignments, model making, practical and theory subjects, and mandatory internships.
Architectural education is a complex, non conventional process and its creative demands must be supported by an understanding of art, science, psychology, mathematics and engineering. However, are our institutions equipped with the means to handle such a complex scope of study?
Despite the elaborate program, there clearly exists a large gap between the education and the practice of architecture. The dated methods used in architectural education do not reflect the real challenges a fresh graduate would face in the field. In essence, what if an architecture institute could embody these details in and of itself? Become a manifestation of the “see and learn” principle?
Challenge is to design an Architecture School that is the very embodiment of the study it professes. The school should not be just an institution for architecture, but also function as a laboratory for architecture, where students are fully engaged while learning.
A dedicated facility can open up an avenue for a school of architecture to have its own unique identity, to put on display what it preaches, and with spaces specifically designed keeping in mind the multifarious requirements of the students in this course. Source and images Courtesy of uni.xyz. http://uni.xyz/competitions
- Registration Closes: 19th Oct, 2020
- Submission Deadline: 3rd Nov, 2020
- Result Announcement: 31st Dec, 2020
- Prize pool of worth: 24,000$
- First Prize: 6000$ (For students and professionals)
- Runner Up: 6 x 1400$ (For students and professionals)
- People’s Choice: 4 x 600$ (Open for all)
- Honorable Mention x 12: 600$ Each
- Location: Norway
- Tagline: Designing where Architects Learn
- Host: Classroom Competitions
- Discipline: Architecture
- Typology: College Design, Institution Design