Leading urban design and architecture practice Farrells has unveiled its recently completed One Excellence development, in the heart of Shenzhen’s new Qianhai district and China’s Greater Bay Area. The project totals 757,000m2 and sets a global precedent for future mixed use, high-density urbanism – with social and green space at its heart. Central to the scheme are the multi-level streetscapes which create lively interplays between different functions to generate vibrant retail spaces.
Farrells’s design, which interlocks the towers and streetscapes is conceived as an evolution from the imposing shopping malls and isolated towers that have dominated Shenzhen’s urbanism throughout its initial decades of growth. Green spaces, metro links and multi-level circulation routes weave seamlessly into the pedestrian networks that connect the wider Qianhai district.
The project features four office towers, including the 300m landmark tower and iconic 180m gateway towers and two residential towers, with each offering a high level of demand from buyers and tenants. The ‘gateway’ towers play an important role in shaping the emerging city, through welcoming visitors and signifying the beginning of the next chapter in Shenzhen’s unprecedented growth.
Rich architectural features complement the permeable streetscapes and create a variety of diverse public spaces, with character and purpose. These include an iconic gateway canopy, residential clubhouse and feature skylights enhancing the urban experience throughout. The design embraces the development’s coastal setting with the soft tower forms and fluid cladding sculpted to mimic the flowing movement of water.
Farrells won the design competition for One Excellence in late 2013, leading the design process to deliver the project to the highest design standards. The Qianhai district, built on land reclaimed from the Qianhai bay, is effectively an ‘instant city’ for over one million people with One Excellence leading the way in its development.
Farrells is the architect behind Shenzhen’s KK100 tower and is currently working on a total of 11 towers within the Qianhai district, inclusive of the One Excellence project. The team is also involved in the design of the new Qianhai Metro which involves ten new stations within the district. Source by Farrells.
- Location: Shenzhen, China
- Architect: Farrells
- Local Design Institute & Engineering Consultant: Capol International
- Façade Consultant Phase 1: SCAS
- Façade Consultant Phase 2: Grandland Fangte Façade
- Traffic Consultant: MVA Asia
- Lighting Consultant: GD-Lighting Design
- Landscape Consultant Phase 1: Aecom
- Landscape Consultant Phase 2: Hilllandscape
- Cooling Tower Consultant: South China University of Technology
- Main Contractor: China Construction Third Engineering Bureau
- T1 Contractor: Jangho
- T3 Contractor: China Fangda
- T2, T4 Contractor: Golden Curtain Wall Group
- Clubhouse Façade Contractor: DADI Façade
- Area: 757,000m2
- Year: 2020
- Photographs: Rex Zou, Courtesy of Farrells