Taking care of the territory and its inhabitants is the principle on which the design of the new Casa della Serenità is based. The new volumes of the project follow the sloping terrain in order to preserve the continuity of the natural landscape elements between the mountain and the valley and to reduce the amount of earthworks in a precious and fragile territory.
The “open courtyard” composition ensures that all guests can enjoy the view of the lake while at the same time creating visual connections between them through loggias, bow windows and large glazed surfaces. Between the existing building and the new one, a “panoramic square” bridges the distance between the vocation to care of Casa della Serenità and its public role in the town of Lovere.
The square and the open spaces are an extension of the collective functions housed on the ground floor of the new complex, promoting a sustainable model of RSA open to visitors and all citizens. On the upper floors, the collective living rooms open up like luminous lanterns towards the ever-changing views of the lake; the corridors, designed like streets in the historic city with their system of widening and seats in front of the doors, become a place of sociability and encourage moments of relationship between guests.
The “belvedere rooms” and the “ customizable apartments”, equipped with the most up-to-date health care technologies, are designed with materials and spatial qualities typical of the domestic environment and promote forms of therapy that link well-being to the perception of the environment and of the nature that surrounds us. The centrality of the principles of environmental sustainability also emerges in the use and choice of materials and building techniques. Source by Laboratorio Permanente.
- Location: Lovere, Italy
- Architect: Laboratorio Permanente
- Technical and scientific coordinator of the competition: Luca Molinari Studio
- Project team: Angelica Sylos Labini, Nicola Russi, Luca Cozzani, Amedeo Noris, Alberto Ceriotti, Pietro Nobili Vitelleschi, Greta Benelli, Mario Ventilato, Francesca Luci, Pablo Hernando del Amo, Vittoria Leonardelli, Giulia Turati, Emilio Vata
- Landscape: RSL Rebediani Scaccabarozzi (Vera Scaccabarozzi, Lorenzo Rebediani)
- Engineering Architecture: Roberto Mancini, Sofia Mori, Chiara Rinaldoni, Ronni Semeraro, Maria Sergio
- Year: 2021
- Images: Courtesy of Laboratorio Permanente