“Creating an intimate space like a forest” was our aim of this project, which was realized with the abundant use of natural materials where guests could nestle into in comfort.
We used different finishing materials – oak, walnut, washi and limestone – for each space, and created a simple and refined space as a whole that could celebrate the first arrival of The Edition in Japan.
Ian Schrager, the Art Director of the hotel, is a legendary figure who produced venues such as Studio 54 and Palladium, which are said to have brought about a drastic change into New York’s nightlife.
We discussed the future of Tokyo in the 21st century over and over, and the hotel was born as a result of it like a warm and fine living room, which had not existed in Tokyo before. Source by Kengo Kuma and Associates.
- Location: Tokyo, Japan
- Architect: Kengo Kuma and Associates
- Project team: Shin Ohba, Kazuyo Nishida, Tomoyo Sakane, Masato Shiokawa, Yohei Mochizuki
- Creative Direction: ISC Design Studio, Ian Schrager
- Interior Design Supervisor: Kengo Kuma and Associates
- Architect of record: Shimizu Corporation
- Area: 21,918.49 m2
- Completed: 2020.03
- Photographs: SS Co.,Ltd / Naomichi Sode