Envisioning multi-use space for entrepreneurs, designers, and developers, and additional ground floor retail, the new 215,000-square-foot Center of Developing Entrepreneurs will act as a connective ligature between the institutional, commercial, and the historic avenues of the city.
The facade, via a repeating pattern, will ensure consistency throughout the various tenant spaces enclosed within. The building will negotiate the difference in scales of the surrounding environment by employing a stepped elevation pattern, exposing rooftop courtyard areas and panoramic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
At the ground floor, the brick will be lifted, replaced by a glazed first story to expose a unique public space intended to enliven the street and promote connectivity. This interior plaza will also serve to extend the terminus of the main thoroughfare, Main Street, with a direct connection to adjacent Water Street.
The move will facilitate access between the adjoining areas and allowing further retail space to be integrated into the surrounding pedestrian mall. The project is targeting ambitious sustainability goals, with completion set for 2022. Source by Entrepreneurs by EskewDumezRipple and Wolf Ackerman.
- Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
- Architect: EskewDumezRipple
- Architect of Record: Wolf Ackerman
- Principal Consultant: Kate Murphy
- EskewDumezRipple Project Team: Jose Alvarez, Steve Dumez, Tyler Guidroz, Jill Traylor, Max Katz, Noah Marble, Tom Gibbons
- Contractor: Hourigan Group
- Civil Engineer: Timmons Group, Inc.
- Structural Engineer: Fox and Associates, Inc.
- Mechanical Engineer: 2RW Consulting Engineers
- Electrical Engineer: 2RW Consulting Engineers
- Landscape: Gregg Bleam Landscape Architect
- Lighting: David Tozer
- I.T/AV/Security: Sextant Group
- Branding and Wayfinding: Iconograph
- Kitchen Equipment: Design Chesapeake
- Envelope Consulting: REI
- Hardware Consultant: Assa Abloy
- Fountain Consultant: DEW
- Client: CSH Development
- Area: 215,000 sqm
- Images: Courtesy of Cameron Macallister Group