The Lobby is a sustainable transformation of the current commercial venue Crystal House located in central Rotterdam. Although a part of the historic Lijnbaan ensemble, the building is not a protected monument because it was built later.
As a part of the ongoing urban regeneration of the surrounding area, this outdated structure is getting a complete overhaul based on transparency, accessibility, and a lively program. The new open ground floor serves as an inviting plinth that provides a barrier-free transition between inside and outside.
Rising above the street level is a defined new volume clad in natural stone with large windows overlooking the bustling activity of the street and a glass roof pavilion at the very top.
High-end retail and catering space are spread throughout The Lobby, culminating in a rooftop restaurant and garden that will offer views over the city for visitors year-round. The modernist redesign of Crystal house gives a nod to the Rotterdam Reconstruction era yet radiates individuality simultaneously. Source by KAAN Architecten.
- Location: Kruiskade 62-90, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Architect: KAAN Architecten
- Principal: Kees Kaan, Vincent Panhuysen, Dikkie Scipio
- Project Team: Bas Barendse, Sebastiaan Buitenhuis, Michael Geensen. Robin Cals, Timo Cardol, Christiaan Frankin, Andrea Gentilini, Carlos Jacquet, Joeri Spijkers, Claudia Vermeulen
- Management: MBM (Molkenboer Management)
- Construction advisor: Pieters Bouwtechniek
- Technical installations advisor, physics, fire control, acoustics: DGMR
- Landscape: Wim Beining
- Client: Manhave Vastgoed
- Size: 3500 m2
- Completion: expected 2022
- Images: Vivid Vision, Courtesy of KAAN Architecten