Opening this week and presented at Art Basel Miami Beach, ‘NFTism’ is a virtual gallery exploring architecture and social interaction in the metaverse. Cyberspaces are virtual environments that enable human-to-human communication via computer networks.
Current photo-real, 3D and massively multiplayer online (MMO) video-game creation technologies, combined with high-speed network and cloud technologies, allow cyberspaces to be 3-dimensional, interaction-rich, socially and sensorially engaging, as well as accessible through a variety of devices using desktop browsers, mobile apps and smart TVs.
Cyberspaces are part of integral spatial-web technologies underpinning the metaverse – an online environment coupling spatial and interaction experiences of cyberspaces with supporting social, community forming and economic infrastructure. The metaverse supports new forms of cultural production and associated experience such as digital art and virtual art museums.
Galerie Nagel Draxler collaborated with media artist Kenny Schachter to curate their initial exhibition dedicated to artists working with blockchain technologies and NFTs: ‘Breadcrumbs: Art in the Age of NFTism’. Their subsequent ‘Crypto-Kiosk’ collaboration piloted the concept at Art Basel 2021. Now at Art Basel Miami Beach, the concept is taken a step further with an LED wall presenting an interactive gallery space located in the metaverse.
With spatial designs by Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA) that focus on user-experience, social interaction and dramaturgical composition, this virtual architecture is powered by performance aligned, field-tested parametric design technologies. Coupling ZHA’s designs with MMO and interaction technological services bring novel, use-enhancing experiences to a broad online audience.
Incorporating their technologies within the virtual spaces designed by ZHA, JOURNEE has developed a Software as a Service (SaaS) built on proprietary, performance optimized MMO technology integrated with audio-video interaction capabilities along with network and cloud-hosting services. Source by Zaha Hadid Architects.
- Location: Art Basel Miami Beach, USA
- Architect: Zaha Hadid Architects
- ZHA Team: Cesar Fragachan, Vishu Bhooshan, Henry David Louth, Shajay Bhooshan, Patrik Schumacher
- Documentation Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA): Cesar Fragachan, Vishu Bhooshan, Shajay Bhooshan JOURNEE: Christian Mio Loclair, Carlos Serrano, Faye Brown, Kevin Wang, Marlene A. Schenk
- Curator: Kenny Schachter
- Realization: JOURNEE
- Metaverse Application & Web Service JOURNEE: Christian Mio Loclair, Carlos Serrano, Faye Brown, Kevin Wang, Marlene A. Schenk
- Year: 2021
- Images: Zaha Hadid Architects, Journee, Courtesy of Zaha Hadid Architects