The Singapore Institute of Architects (SIA) Architecture Design Awards recognises the achievements of SIA Members in their pursuit of architectural excellence, motivates architects to push boundaries with innovation and uphold design standards.
The Awards aims to heighten the appreciation and patronage of good architectural design from both the architectural fraternity as well as the general public. The Awards introduced a new category this year: Social / umanitarian Architecture. This category aims to acknowledge members, who use their professional competencies to contribute to society.
SIA honour these architects who are able tackle human-centric, social issues, overcome tight budgets and limited resources to arrive at good design solutions. The judging criteria of the SIA Architectural Design Awards are:
• originality and innovation,
• sensitivity to context,
• response to climate,
• response to users’ needs and
• elegance of construction and detail.
This year, an esteemed jury panel comprises
• Ar. Seah Chee Huang (President, SIA),
• Ar. Richard Hassell (Founding Director, WOHA Architects Pte Ltd),
• Prof. Ho Puay Peng (Head of Department of Architecture, NUS),
• Ar. Belinda Huang (Partner, ARC Studio Architecture + Urbanism Pte Ltd),
• Prof. Erwin Viray (Head of Pillar, Architecture and Sustainable Design, SUTD)
The jury awards a total of 20 Design Awards and 11 Merit Awards in 6 submission categories. In addition, two projects are jointly conferred the “Building Of The Year”. Buildings of the Year:
• Jewel Changi Airport by Safdie Architects
• Sky Green by WOHA Architects Pte. Ltd.
Source and photos Courtesy of SIA.