The City of London’s Planning & Transportation Committee approved the next phase of 4C Hotels’ Minories Masterplan, which is delivering major regeneration, economic growth, and attractive new architecture to the Minories and Aldgate area.
The Minories Masterplan is a mixed-use scheme with a refurbished hotel, a new office building and a residential building. The scheme also includes a landscaped park around the residential building and a number of urban squares with landscaping and seating areas. There are shops and business units at ground floor level alongside the office building.
4C Hotels are progressing with building out the new hotel, which will be a new Canopy by Hilton hotel opening in mid-2021, and work has started on the new residential building, which will deliver 87 new homes. This latest application focuses on improving the office building element of the scheme. The new application was required following 4C Hotels acquiring adjoining sites, which was carried out in close liaison with the City of London.
This has enabled a more comprehensive regeneration of the area, including securing a new, street-facing location for the Still and Star Public House, which is an important local heritage asset. The wider regeneration also enables greater public realm enhancements and better east/west and north/south pedestrian routes.
The key benefits of the new approach include:
- Improved additional public open space between the hotel and the newly proposed office scheme
- Re-configured, wider and better lit Harrow Alley connecting Little Somerset Street with Aldgate High Street
- Revitalised, commercially viable, Still and Star Public House benefiting from an Aldgate High Street frontage
- New shared off-street loading facilities serving the Hotel, Residential Tower and the proposed office building, which will take vehicles off the road and reduce pressure on Little Somerset Street
- The provision of sustainable retail units serving the local community and adjacent occupiers.
The developer is delighted to be working with TfL on this landmark 250,000 sq ft office development which forms part of the Minories Masterplan, which will also provide a new 342 bedroom hotel and adjacent high-quality homes. This will positively contribute to the growth of Aldgate and its attractiveness as a prime business district within the City of London. Source by ACME.