Holland Casino Venlo, a sustainable flower-shaped icon by MVSA Architects, has opened its doors. The landmark building unites imaginative parametric architecture and cradle-to-cradle design with a magical user experience.
MVSA’s lead architect on the project, Wouter Thijssen, says: “We are very proud of this iconic and sustainable building. We wish Holland Casino every success with it and we hope every visitor will enjoy an unforgettable experience in this fantastic new casino.”
Shaped like a giant stylized flower, with its grounds forming the outer petals and the building itself the inner corolla, the new casino references the famous Dutch flower industry and acts as an architectural ‘welcome to the Netherlands’ sign – Venlo is located close to the German border.
The building is easily visible from the road, and when dark its colour-changing interactive LED façade is a spectacular eyecatcher. A generous, Vegas-style porte-cochère leads guests into the centre of the building, where they find themselves in the heart of the giant flower.
The interior, with its inviting bar and gaming spaces, revolves around the curving wooden ‘stem’ in the casino’s core. This sculptural structure evokes the proud Dutch shipbuilding tradition. The whole site is designed to be sustainable. Rainwater is collected to be used in the grey-water system (eg toilets).
The wood comes from sustainably managed forests and wood fibre is used as insulation in the hollow exterior walls. Relatively little concrete is used, with recycled material employed wherever possible.
The LED façade has a low energy consumption and the roof is covered with PV film which converts light into electricity. The building is the result of a successful cooperation between Holland Casino, the architects and subcontractors.
MVSA collaborated with Las Vegas-based interior design company Gensler on the interior of the casino. The cradle-to-cradle concept was developed in line with the ambitions of Venlo’s local council. Source by MVSA Architects.
- Location: Floralaan Venlo, the Netherlands
- Architect: MVSA Architects
- MEP, Structural Design and Engineering, Building Physics & Acoustics: Arcadis
- Cradle to Cradle & Sustainability Concept: MVSA – Arcadis
- Concept Designer – Interior: Gensler, Las Vegas
- Landscape Architecture: MVSA Architects, Arcadis, R’odor
- Project & contract management: Brink, Rotterdam
- Contractor: Laudy Bouw en Ontwikkeling bv
- Subcontractor Mechanical Services and Installations: Croon Wolter & Dros, Façade Construction, Sorba Projects B.V.
- Interactive LED Facade: Livingprojects B.V.
- Landscape Contractor: De Enk Groen en Golf
- Client: Holland Casino
- Gross floor area: 9.899 m2
- Gross floor area urban design: 28.000 m2
- Completion: 2021
- Photographs: Corné Clemens, Laurens Eggen, Jan Maarten Lieverdink, Barwerd van der Plas, Courtesy of MVSA Architects