In the old town of Llucmajor (Mallorca), occupying part of the house where the photographer Toni Catany was born, we built the International Photography Centre, based on the work and the collection of this great artist.
The place, the history, the remains, the scale, the classic typology of houses closed to the outside and open onto courtyards… all of this obviously forms the base for the project.
They are phantoms or realities that accompany us, though we have to control them. However, we did not forget that our mission here was to build a contemporary museographic centre of reference as a suitable setting for exceptional works.
We conserved remains, rebuilding some, we primitively restored the façades with care… But the space is new, open, flexible, large, available, with very controlled light, sometimes shadowy…
Some singular elements appear: a staircase that takes flight, another that recreates the chromatic world of the artist in question… Though the protagonist is always the space with an accompanying detail at hand that is both radical and approachable.
This is a building constructed during the COVID-19 pandemic, with its different moments of isolation, distance and digitality. Though here we had to produce something that was concrete, close, manual, in a distant and sometimes desperately archaic world. Source by Josep Lluís Mateo-mateoarquitectura.
- Location: Llucmajor, Mallorca, Spain
- Architect: Josep Lluís Mateo-mateoarquitectura
- Lead architect: Josep Lluís Mateo
- Contractor: Obras y Pavimentos MAN
- Technical architect: Biel Garcies
- Structures: BAC Engineering Consultancy Group
- Installations and sustainability: DEERNS
- Bill of quantities: Arrevolt
- Client: Government of the Balearic Islands (Department of Culture) and Spanish Ministry of Culture
- Built surface area: 1,200 m2
- Construction date: September 2021
- Photographs: Gabriel Ramon, Aldo Amoretti, Courtesy of Josep Lluís Mateo-mateoarquitectura
Photo © Aldo Amoretti Photo © Aldo Amoretti Photo © Gabriel Ramon Photo © Gabriel Ramon Photo © Aldo Amoretti Photo © Aldo Amoretti Photo © Gabriel Ramon Photo © Aldo Amoretti Photo © Aldo Amoretti Photo © Gabriel Ramon Photo © Gabriel Ramon Photo © Aldo Amoretti Photo © Aldo Amoretti Photo © Gabriel Ramon Photo © Aldo Amoretti Photo © Gabriel Ramon Photo © Gabriel Ramon Photo © Aldo Amoretti Photo © Gabriel Ramon Ground Floor Plan Section