OMA / Ellen van Loon and Ippolito Pestellini Laparelli will design the new KaDeWe department store and hotel in Vienna’s Museumsquartier. This was announced after a final jury meeting on October 1, concluding a design competition organized by the developer Signa.
The main program components are split in two volumes, retail up front and hotel in the rear, between which OMA created a green passage that invites people up to a series of public roof-gardens. The gardens range in quality and character – from tree groves to sun decks – generating unprecedented views from all sides of the building onto the city.
The KaDeWe complex is connected to the pedestrian network of the area and provides new types of public spaces in the historical center. The façade is inspired by the gentle and sophisticated geometries of the architecture of the Vienna Secession. Upon completion this will be OMA’s first project in Vienna. OMA is currently also leading the renovation of KaDeWe Berlin.
The project is led by Ippolito Pestellini Laparelli, Ellen van Loon and Laurence Bolhaar. Landscape design is in collaboration with Vogt Landschaftsarchitekten, sustainability by IPJ Ingenieursbüro P. Jung and structural engineering and MEP by Vasko + Partner. Source by OMA.
- Location: Vienna, Austria
- Architect: OMA / Ellen Van Loon and Ippolito Pestellini Laparelli
- Partners-in-charge: Ellen van Loon and Ippolito Pestellini Laparelli
- Project Architect: Laurence Bolhaar
- Project Team: Anita Ernodi, Alexei Haddad, Mattia Inselvini, Natalie Konopelski, Antonia Rubic, Massimo Tenan, Michele Zambetti
- Landscape Architect: Vogt Landschaftsarchitekten
- Sustainability: IPJ Ingenieursbüro P. Jung
- Structural engineering and MEP: Vasko + Partner
- Client: Signa Development
- Program: Retail, hotel, rooftop gardens, public spaces
- Year: 2019
- Images: Courtesy of OMA